The best dog walkers and pet sitters in Canberra
Does your puppy or rescue dog need help adjusting to their new life with your family? Has a recent injury or changed circumstances prevented you from walking your dog as often as you would like? Or do you struggle to pay enough attention to your high-energy dog during the work week?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may benefit from hiring a professional dog walker or pet sitter.
By providing regular exercise, mental stimulation, and affection, a professional dog walker can resolve issues such as separation anxiety, barking, and unwanted chewing. And if your dog or cat doesn’t like kennels, a pet sitter can keep them safe and happy in their familiar home environment.
But what qualities should you consider when choosing a dog walker or pet sitter, and where can you find the best in Canberra? Let’s take a closer look.
What makes a great dog walker or pet sitter?
There is more to being a great dog walker or pet sitter than just attaching a leash and walking around the lake. The best dog walkers and pet sitters have a genuine love of animals and are looking to build a relationship with your pet.
May it be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a dog walker or pet sitter in Canberra?
- Do they offer a free introductory meeting? Most of the best dog walkers in Canberra offer a free introductory meeting to make sure your dog feels safe, comfortable, and happy in their company.
- Do they offer a personalized approach? A good dog walker or pet sitter will ask questions about your dog’s history, behavior, temperament, and training needs and tailor their approach accordingly. Their services should be tailored to your pet, as each pet will require a different approach to walking or sitting.
- Will the same person walk or sit your pet each time? Dogs love routine and are very excited when their walker arrives to take them out. For dogs who are particularly anxious or routine, it may be helpful to ensure that the same person will be walking them each day.
- Are they proactive communicators? Many dog walking and pet sitting services will be happy to keep you up to date with photos and text messages so you know how each walk or session went. If you’re nervous about leaving your pet in someone else’s care, this is a great way to be reassured that your dog is happy and safe at home.
- What insurance do they have? Check that your chosen dog walker or pet sitter is fully insured and has had a recent police check. After all, you will let them into your home and / or garden and trust them to take care of one of your family members.
The best dog walkers and pet sitters in Canberra
The RiotACT editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site feedback to come up with a list of the most recommended companies in your opinion.
To be featured in our Best of Canberra series, every business must have received regular positive reviews on RiotACT and Facebook, as well as maintain a minimum 4/5 star average on Google.
Paw Ventures was founded by dog lover Gemma who started the business out of passion and love for all dogs. Gemma provides quality one-on-one care at an affordable rate, with services such as dog walking (tailored to your dog’s needs and temperament) and animal registration when you are sick or away from home.
Paw Ventures offers a free, no-obligation trial walk for new customers to make sure it’s a perfect fit for you and your pet. A 10% discount is also available for senior card holders. Gemma has a work card with vulnerable people and the company is fully insured.
Happy client Jodie shared her experience with Paw Ventures saying: “…[Gemma] kept in touch with us as often and as little as we requested. Our house was left as we left it (a bit better if I’m being honest). Again, the most important thing is that our boy was relaxed and very happy and looked like he had been spoiled. We will definitely be booking Gemma again, it’s time to plan our next getaway, but longer this next time as we know our boy will be safe, happy and spoiled. THANK YOU Gemma.“
Canberra, Googong, Bungendore or Jerrabomberra
Mad Paws is a network of quality licensed animal sitters across Australia, including Canberra. Its services include pet sitting, house calls, dog walking, dog grooming, dog training and pet sitting at your home or with the sitter.
All Mad Paws pet sitter profiles are verified and feature customer reviews and ratings to help you make an informed choice. Services booked through Mad Paws are covered by Mad Paws Accident Cover, while the company’s reservation guarantee ensures that your pet is taken care of if your chosen pet sitter is no longer available.
Happy client Wendy shared her experience with Mad Paws in a website testimonial, saying: “Paulette was a fantastic animal sitter! We know Archie and Bailey are going to miss being with her !! We can’t thank her enough for taking great care of them! The kids loved all the photos and videos Paulette sent us. We couldn’t ask for better and we know.
Mad and English dogs
Mad Dogs & Englishmen is a dog walking and daycare service provider committed to providing quality, professional, reliable and organized service. With franchises in Canberra, he promises his walkers will always show up, a maximum of four dogs per walker, walks are never cut short, and your dog won’t spend more than 30 minutes traveling in the van.
Happy client Angelina shared her experience with Mad Dogs & Englishmen in a Facebook review saying: “I have been with them for almost 3 years now and cannot recommend enough. Nothing but the best experience in every way for our dogs and for us! ”
There is a lot that can be done to provide the best possible care for your pet. Check out our articles on the best dog groomers, the best vets, the best emergency vets, the best dog trainers, the best pet stores and pet supplies, and the best pet insurance for more useful information about the best pet services in Canberra!
If you want to find a place to stay for your pet while on vacation, our articles on the best doggy day care centers in Canberra and the best dog kennels and catteries may be helpful.
And if you’re looking to adopt another furry friend, our article on the best places for rescue dogs in Canberra may be of interest to you.
Your experience with dog walkers and pet sitters in Canberra
Thanks to our reviewers who provided insightful comments. If you think we were wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with any of the dog walking or pet sitting companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.