The best dog kennels and catteries in Canberra
If you’re like most animal lovers, the best vacations are when your beloved four-legged friend is right next to you. And while Canberra is slowly taking a paw-friendly approach, it remains for the most part tricky.
Whether you’re taking a weekend trip to the coast or racking up significant mileage, chances are your dear dog or cat will have to stay behind. So what do we do with the options? Family or friends can briefly embrace their call; but long stays are likely to test the relationship.
Enter the pet lodgings. Boarding schools and dog catteries offer a wonderful solution to such a dilemma. Offering accommodation and care for your dogs and cats, these traditional boarding schools accommodate both short and long stays.
That said, leaving furry babies in the hands of strangers can be quite intimidating! There are a lot of concerns ranging from attention to food, comfort and safety. And we’ve heard them all – horror stories from the past, sowing doubt in our minds.
Luckily, Canberra is home to some wonderful dog kennels and catteries, providing quality care just like you would at home. Best of all, we’ve curated a shortlist of the best healthcare providers in Canberra, so read on below.
What makes a great dog kennel and cattery?
The best boarding facilities are a home away from home for your beloved dog or cat. They provide a stimulating and safe environment to rest and play in comfort while you are away. Here are some tips to help you assess whether housing is right for you and your pet:
- Really clean. The most famous boarding schools are spotlessly clean. They deploy meticulous hygiene practices and see this as one of their top priorities. Look for facilities that are regularly cleaned and disinfected with products sensitive to small paws. Also educate yourself on pest control to make sure your loved one will be free from pesky critters. Make sure the litter box is cleaned after each use and kept away from feeding and sleeping areas. Finally, cleanliness should extend to your pet as well, with the best boarding houses offering full grooming services.
- Excellent enclosures. The best kennels and catteries are luxurious sanctuaries that meet all the needs of any buddy. Look for spacious individual accommodations that are naturally lit and well ventilated. Also, make sure there is enough room for all your eating, playing and resting needs. Basics like only mixing cats from the same household; raised litter; and litter away from food should be a given. There should also be points of interest, whether it’s a natural setting or toys to stimulate the animals. Finally, internal accommodations must be supported by climate controls like temperature and humidity to ensure comfort.
- Next level nutrition. While you may not be there, you should expect your dog or cat to be properly fed. Only consider kennels and catteries that follow the recommended dietary intakes for dogs and cats. The provision of this food should come in the form of protein and fresh produce, canned or packaged items, as well as snacks and treats. It is important to note that all pets should have a constant supply of clean, fresh water on hand. The best kennels and catteries will even go so far as to include supplements such as probiotics to ensure good health during their care.
- Plenty of activities. The best kennels and catteries understand that your pet needs daily activity to stay happy, entertained, and healthy. This should include activities in their individual space, such as scrapers, climbers, tunnels, and toys, as well as outdoor games. Many facilities offer structured hours, usually once or twice a day, for playing and exercising outside of their individual accommodations. Look for a natural environment, lots of grass, and interesting flora to keep them interested on every outing.
- Super secure. For added peace of mind, the best accommodations offer super secure facilities. Individual dwellings should be lockable, as should the installation and the perimeter wider. Plus, the best kennels and catteries are fully staffed with a manager and pet sitters during opening hours and beyond. For added convenience, many also have residents on-site, particularly helpful in an emergency.
The best dog kennels and catteries in Canberra
The RiotACT editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site feedback to come up with a list of the most recommended companies in your opinion.
To be featured in our Best of Canberra series, every business must have received regular positive reviews on RiotACT and Facebook, as well as maintain a minimum 4/5 star average on Google.
Pet boarding Tara Estate
As one of the oldest and most respected boarding houses in Canberra, Tara Estate offers daycare and accommodation for dogs and cats. The Tara Estate team is dedicated to providing enrichment-based care that guarantees physical and mental activity during your pets stay.
Their impressive facilities include individual accommodation, grooming services, training, and airport transfers. For respected caregivers and everything you need for your dog and cat under one roof, check out Tara Estate Pet Boarding.
As Frederica Heacock wrote on RiotACT, âTara in Pialligo is like Disneyland with 10 acres of parkland, trees and a lake.“
9 Beltana Road
Palligo ACT 2609
Pet Care in Canberra
Positioned as a true pet resort, Canberra Pet Care offers short and long term accommodation for dogs and cats. This unique concept of animal care has had experienced professionals in the animal care industry for over 29 years.
Offering superior motel-style accommodation and luxury suites, stays at Canberra Pet Care include daily bush walks, one hour of fun, and play time to keep your pet happy and entertained. For the vacation your beloved four-legged friend deserves, turn to Canberra Pet Care.
rpearce had this to say about Canberra Pet Care on RiotACT, âI found Canberra Pet Care to be a great cattery. “
Boarding for dogs at Monaro Park
Managed by local couple Josh and Bridget, Monaro Park Dog Boarding has earned an excellent reputation for its care and service. They are passionate about animal welfare and themselves keep an impressive collection of animals on the property!
Natural surroundings are the name of the game, with accommodations located outside. An abundance of space, light and fresh air ensures that your puppy will be entertained – and exercised – while you are away. For personalized care and attentive service just like you would at home, opt for Monaro Park Dog Boarding.
As Eric Yarger shared on Google, “Best of all, the boarding service around our dogs love Josh and go to Monaro! I absolutely recommend Monaro Dog Boarding to anyone in Canberra or passing through and I need boarding service! â
Best Friend Pet Center
As one of the leading kennels and catteries in the area, Best Friend Pet Center offers spacious accommodation, top conditions, delicious meals and quality care for your pet. With separate facilities for dogs and cats, each accommodation is specially designed to meet their unique needs.
Best Friend Pet Center offers a range of additional services that you can access during your dog or cat’s stay, including grooming and extra play time. For safe hands and a safe space for your dog and cat, check out the Best Friend Pet Center.
Richard Keegan said this about Best Friend Pet Care on Google, âWe have used Best Friends a lot over the years. The dogs seem to be having fun and come back happy and tired. The staff seem really sweet to them!
Kiaora Park Animal Care
Kiaora Park Pet Care is a family pension located on a rural property just outside Gungahlin. Suites are private, secure, and climate-controlled – dogs have their own 6m course attached to their candy, as well as private play times twice daily with friendly staff. Cats can enjoy scratching poles and toys in their rooms, as well as an open atrium for supervised exploration.
Happy customer Kirsty Luckie left the following Google review for Kiaora, âI have used many kennels in the past and in my opinion this has been the best. The staff are very accommodating and I love to receive updates and photos. Thanks again Kiaora Pet Care, we’ll be back. â
There is a lot that can be done to provide the best possible care for your pet. Check out our articles on the best dog groomers, the best vets, the best emergency vets, the best dog trainers, the best pet stores and pet supplies, and the best pet insurance for more useful information about Canberra’s best pet services.
If you want to find a place for your pet while on vacation, our articles on Canberra’s best dog walkers and pet sitters and the best dog day care centers can be of help.
And if you’re looking to adopt another furry friend, our article on the best places for rescue dogs in Canberra may be of interest to you.
Your experience with dog kennels and catteries in Canberra
Thanks to our reviewers who provided insightful comments. If you think we were wrong, please let us know.
Have you ever worked with any of the dog kennels and catteries listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.