Franklin storm: Nearly 50 flood warnings and alert issues for large parts of Wales

There are now 15 flood warnings in place for Wales as well as 34 flood alerts.

Sustained rains and winds caused by storms Dudley and Eunice, as well as the upcoming Franklin, have forced Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to issue a series of alerts.

There are three types of warnings and alerts issued by NRW: Flood Alerts, Flood Warnings and Severe Flood Warnings.

The least serious is a flood alert. It means “a flood is possible, be prepared”.

Then it’s a flood warning which means “A flood is forecast – immediate action is required”.

The highest level is a severe flood warning, meaning there is a threat to life.

NRW issued 15 flood warnings and 34 alerts.

The 15 flood warnings cover the upper parts of the Severn, Wye Teme and Vyrnwy.

Here are the 15 flood warnings in place:

River Severn

  • Dolwen and Llandinam
  • Abermule and Fron
  • Aberbechan
  • Llandrinio
  • Criggion
  • Button
  • Welsh
  • Pool Dock and Trewern
  • Caerhowel

River Wye

River Vyrnwy

  • llansantffraid
  • Llanymynech
  • Meifod region

River Teme


  • Lledan Creek in Welshpool

You can see the latest flood warnings on the NRW website here.

Flood alerts

There are 34 flood alerts in place at present, these cover almost all parts of Wales including most rivers, coasts and valleys.

  • Catchment of Clwyd
  • Cynon River
  • Rhondda Rivers
  • Taff River
  • Upper Tawe
  • Llynfi and Ogmore Rivers
  • River Neath
  • River Usk in Monmouthshire and Newport
  • River Usk in Powys
  • Usk Estuary
  • Aberthaw Coast to Severn Bridge
  • Swansea Bay and the Gower Coast
  • Tidal area at Crofty
  • Carmarthenshire coast
  • Pembrokeshire Coast
  • Ceredigion coast between Clarach and Cardigan
  • Dyfi Capture
  • Lower Dee Basin
  • Lower Teifi
  • Wye Estuary in Monmouthshire
  • Upper Teme upstream and including Knighton
  • River Dee in the Lower Dee Valley
  • Upper Severn in Powys
  • Vyrnwy Catchment
  • River Wye in Powys
  • Rivers Wye and Monnow in Monmouthshire
  • Upper Dee Basin
  • Swansea Bay and the Gower Coast
  • Tidal area at Crofty
  • Carmarthenshire coast
  • Pembrokeshire Coast
  • Ceredigion coast between Clarach and Cardigan
  • Dyfi Capture
  • Lower Dee Basin
  • Lower Teifi
  • Bran and Gwydderig rivers
  • Top trailer
  • Bottom tow
  • Taf and Cynin rivers
  • North Wales Coast
  • Anglesey West Coast
  • Lleyn Peninsula and Cardigan Bay Coastline

What should I do to prepare for a flood?

According to NRW, you should consider the needs of everyone on your property and make sure everyone knows the escape plan:

  • it might be safer to move to an upstairs room, ideally with a window that could be a potential escape route
  • if you are in a basement or a bungalow, think of another place where you could settle for more security
  • think about where you might move your belongings, upstairs, on furniture or in your car
  • store valuables or sentimental items high up all year round

You should also prepare a flood kit of essential items and keep it handy in case you are evacuated and make sure people know where to find it.

This should include:

  • copies of your home insurance documents
  • phone charger and battery
  • a list of important phone numbers
  • a torch with spare batteries
  • a radio – on your phone or on battery
  • warm and waterproof clothing and blankets
  • a first aid kit and prescription medication
  • bottled water and non-perishable food
  • baby food and childcare articles
  • pet supplies
  • rubber gloves and rubber boots
  • face masks and hand sanitizer

Keep a list of important phone numbers in your flood kit, this should include:

  • Flood Line 0345 988 1188
  • Local Authority Emergency Helpline
  • your insurance company’s 24-hour number and your policy number
  • local radio station frequency for news alerts and weather updates
  • family and neighbors
  • business phone numbers
  • doctor surgery
  • local police station
  • vet/kennel/cattery
  • local hotel or B&B
  • gas supplier and meter number
  • electricity supplier and meter number
  • water supplier and meter number
  • electrician
  • plumber
  • constructor

Check your insurance

  • Confirm that you are covered against flooding (ask your insurer, landlord or rental agent).
  • Find out if the policy covers alternative accommodation if needed.
  • Find out if the policy replaces the new with the old and if it limits repairs.
  • Don’t underestimate the value of your content.
  • Take photos of your property and make a list of your belongings to help with future insurance claims.
  • Check your auto insurance and what your policy considers preventable and unavoidable flood damage.

During a flood, you must turn off gas, electricity and water.

  • The gas valve is usually located next to your gas meter.
  • Your electrical network is usually a red switch on your fuse box.
  • Your water shutoff valve is usually located under a kitchen sink or where the water pipe enters your home.

Contact your supplier if you are unsure how to proceed.

Comments are closed.