Dogs on the Fylde Coast have fallen ill with a mystery bug
Blackpool dog owners are being warned of a mysterious virus causing illness, diarrhea and fatigue.
Both Mere Road Vets and St Annes Veterinary Health Center have seen several cases of the rapidly spreading disease on the Fylde Coast.
Sarah Reid owns Cozy Kennels and Cattery on Midgeland Road. She is also a qualified veterinary nurse and has heard from clients and other vets who have been affected by the virus.
She said; “It is spreading like wildfire. In the last 12 months we have seen so many canine viruses. It could be due to more people getting dogs during the pandemic, I don’t know, but it has to be Covid related somehow. I never knew him like that. Normally we only have one bout of kennel cough a year, we are now on the fifth outbreak in the last 12 months. Last year it got so bad that we had to close for a week.
Blind Blackpool woman mourns the loss of her retired guide dog
Part of the problem is that it’s hard to clean up after dogs when they have diarrhea and other dogs are naturally sniffling and that’s how it spreads. It seems to be quite contagious.
Irene Farley’s dog, Olly, fell ill on Thursday, January 20, 2022.
“He started vomiting around 4 a.m. I could tell he was wrong so I left him in the garden and he had really bad diarrhoea.
Her vet, Andrew Mellor on Norbreck Road, advised her to monitor symptoms and stick to a bland diet of chicken and rice.
“He wasn’t drinking anything and he was very lethargic. He’s started to pull himself together now, but he still hasn’t eaten and he has diarrhoea.
Irene, from Bispham, said the eight-year-old cocker spaniel had visited the local beach and Stanley Park. She doesn’t know where he caught the bug.
The British Veterinary Association (BVA) advises that with prompt veterinary treatment almost all dogs make a full recovery from this rare severe gastric bug.
Dr Shotton said: “With gastroenteritis most cases are mild, but some dogs may require hospitalization with a drip. In the worst situations, it can become haemorrhagic leading to secondary complications or even death, but this is very rare.