council reminds cat owners of their obligations | The Grenfell Disc

Weddin Shire Council advises all Grenfell cat owners of their obligations under the Pets Act 1998, Section 29. Local feline owners are asked to remember that under the law a cat must have some form of identification that allows an authority to determine the name of the cat and the name and address of the owner.

Failure to have your cat identified may allow the council to impose a fine of $180. You can have your cat identified by an electronic chip, a collar worn around the cat’s neck with a tag attached or any other form prescribed by the Regulations.

Whether identified or not, cats are prohibited in food preparation/consumption areas and wildlife protection areas.

A cat may be declared a pest by the Council if the cat:

  • makes a noise that occurs persistently or continuously to such a degree that it interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any other person in any other place or
  • Repeatedly damaging anything outside of the property the cat is usually kept on

According to Weddin Shire Council Ranger Allison Knowles, it is an offense to fail to comply.

Failure to comply may allow the Council to take further action by issuing a Notice of Penalty Violation, issuing an Order and/or Seizing the Cat.

Ms Knowles said section 32 of the act allows anyone to lawfully seize a cat that is in a wildlife protection area if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death.

This section of the Act also states that if a cat which is not under the control of a competent person enters enclosed ground (as defined in the Enclosed Grounds Act 1901) and approaches any animal kept on the land, the occupier of the land or anyone authorized by the occupier, may legally injure or destroy the cat if it is reasonable to believe that the cat will molest, attack or injure one of these animals.

“Stray, unidentified, feral and feral cats are problematic in the Weddin Shire community,” Ms Knowles said.

To help with cat management in the area, Ms. Knowles asks local feline owners to consider the following:

  • Desex your cat if you are not a registered breeder (this means being a member of an approved recognized association such as the Australian National Cats Incorporation).
  • Purchase an outdoor cattery to keep your cat contained that can be erected on your private property.
  • Equip your cat with a collar and bell to help protect wildlife.
  • Train your cat to walk on a leash. These are available at veterinary practices and pet stores.
  • Keep your cat indoors at all times

Any local residents with questions about cat ownership and the law are asked to contact the council ranger on 63431212.

Comments are closed.